RISKbitz Baden-Baden E-diary

RISKbitz Baden-Baden E-diary

Beer mugReinsurance broker and Baden-Baden veteran Steve Grabber emails home from Baden.

Grabber, Steve

steve.grabber@megabroker.com

Sun Oktober 18 2015 06:05

It is great to be heading to Baden. So good they named it twice. Such a contrast to the glitz of Monte. I didn’t have to worry about packing at all. It’s dark suits all the way here, from my 06:30amfruhstuck” meetings at the Hotel Bad zum Wursterhof to the late night “networking” with my mates at Leo’s. I wonder if there’ll be anyone from Russia Re. Also, there’s no marketing gimmicks to go wrong because it is just business, business, business at Baden. But must remember to take my budgie smugglers for the trips to the spa with Ivan. And also my golf gear. And my England rugby shirt for watching the World Cup in the Kaiser Stube.

Grabber, Steve

steve.grabber@megabroker.com

Sun Oktober 18 2015 23:55

What a smashing place the Bad zum Wursterhof is. Coming back through the park after a few steins while watching the rugby just now, some us decided to re-enact Brown’s amazing try. I ended up rolling down the river bank into the river and getting a bit wet. But the night manager insisted on helping me back to my room via the trade lift even covering me with a blanket so I didn’t get cold! Must get some kip now as I am on duty first thing. Got a 7a.m. with Christoph von Grossmann, the tough talking head of Schadenfreud Versicherungs. Can’t wait.

Grabber, Steve

steve.grabber@megabroker.com

Mon Oktober 19 2015 09:55

Total nightmare. Slept through my alarm, woke up fully clothed and found I had five minutes to get downstairs to meet old Grossmann. He kept looking at me funny and when I went to the gents and looked in the mirror I realised I had grass stains on my face and mud on my knees. He must think I’m nuts. Tried to cover up by making a joke about German emissions in the lavs but he didn’t crack a smile. Definitely having an early one tonight. Got to dash, having coffee with Thierry Epoisse over at the Bad Hassel Hof Haus and then ‘meeting’ with Ivan in the arvo. Forgot my speedos – hopefully I’ll be able to borrow something.

Grabber, Steve

steve.grabber@megabroker.com

Mon Oktober 19 2015 17:55

Just got in after the most horrific experience of my life. Ivan took me to the baths connected to the Bad Hotel Spiegelei, where you are only allowed in naked! It started off ok but after a while I started to feel a bit woozy (too many Weiss beers last night?) and went to look for somewhere cooler for a sit down. After wandering around a bit I pushed open a door - and found myself in a corridor facing old Grossman – talking to our CEO. WTF. When I went to shake hands my towel slipped… be surprised if I’m still in a job after this tbh. Try not to think about – heading out now for a slap up meal with clients in that new themed place I got my temp secretary to book, Die Kleine Lederhosen.

Grabber, Steve

steve.grabber@megabroker.com

Tues Oktober 20 2015 06:55

Pity our clients don’t have more of a sense of humour. The theme of the restaurant last night turned out to be tiny leather shorts worn by the young waiters and waitresses and all of the food was presented in er, interesting anatomical shapes of both genders! They also had an oompah band and I did some rugby songs with them. Our guests sat through it all totally po-faced and hardly touched their sausages. I suppose they’re not used to this sort of thing in the Middle East. Anyway I’m off to our meeting bunker now to spend the entire day sitting at a little table managing the renewal expectations of our dear clients…

Grabber, Steve

steve.grabber@megabroker.com

Tues Oktober 20 2015 17:55

An extraordinary thing just happened. I was cutting through the park earlier, which was filled with dog walkers as usual, when a pinscher of some description set about me pulling the arse out of my trousers! As I was hurrying away past the fountain, one of the drunks that hang around there all day lurched over: it was Rick Binder who used to work at Minno Reins Brokers!! He looked a right tramp. Turns out he’s been living rough in Baden since this time last year when they were acquired. As I was chatting to him when who should walk past but Grossman- again! And me with a gaping hole in my trousers. What are the chances?

Grabber, Steve

steve.grabber@megabroker.com

Weds Oktober 20 2015 09:25

Got back in last night to find an email from the boss. He wants to see me first thing we’re back. Something tells me I’ll soon be going into a consulting position with old Ricky Binder…

Latest Issue

September 2017

reactions-latest-issue

In this month's Reactions

• Ed Noonan
  • Marine analytics
  • Legal survey
  • Investment roundtable

Click here to view this issue

Follow Us on Twitter @reactionsnet